(Summary of The Kingdom Summit 2015 session by Matthew Ashimolowo)
Most of the time, the church’s approach to wealth has been to ‘have just enough funds’ for its vision. But the enormity of the real mission of the church, both locally and globally, is to reach the world and make a huge impact. We need to believe in God’s super natural money to carry out His vision. Sometimes, the church does things on a low budget, poor quality approach and expects an incredible response. The quality of the solutions we offer as a church are so poor, that the world is beginning to look elsewhere for answers and the church must recognize it. The church must realize that our competition is not another church; our competition is - anything that challenges the minds of our people, particularly young people.
THE NEED FOR WEALTH TRANSFER
To achieve high standards in TV programming, the church needs wealth transfer. If we use cheap cameras and for equipment, it shows in the quality of our programs. Some church channels use the low band for broadcasting. This gives a grainy output. So people don’t watch, they change screens, they just flick past. We need to use cutting edge, state of the art equipment in order to offer high-quality TV programs like Christian operas and talk shows; we need timely technology to help us really communicate the gospel.
The church needs wealth transfer in order to reach millennials and generation X, for which we must employ a relevant approach that is different from our regular screaming from the pulpit. We need quality, social media platforms that are effective. We must have the right kind of equipment, that have to be managed by people who know how to reach tech-savvy youth.
We also need wealth transfer to respond to the social needs of the world. Matthew 10:25 says, ‘I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you took me in.’ Many of the social responses to the world 200 years ago were by Salvation Army, Compassion, Christians in need etc. And to be effective in the modern world and to feed the poor and the hungry, quality income is necessary.
We need wealth transfer to take over the gates of the enemy. It’s said to Rebecca, ‘thou art Rebecca our sister; may your children possess the gates of the enemy’. God said to Abraham ‘you will possess the gates of your enemies’. Gates may not make sense to us because our cities today do not have gates. Several years ago, in the city where I grew up in Nigeria, we couldn’t enter the city if we were out late in the evening; the gates would be shut. But today gates in the city are not physical. They are not visible, they are things that control the mind, the system, the government of our nation and education. Thankfully some of the best universities in Nigeria are Christian universities. But taking over this gate is not easy. We need to spend billions to create impact. The church also needs to give to the gates of family, to the gates of health care and that of the judiciary.
If you don’t feel the need for finance, it means that you haven’t met other people’s needs. God told Abraham that He will bless him and He will enable him to be a blessing to others. We become distribution centres of God’s blessings for the purpose of wealth transfer. C. P. Wardener has prophesied that there is going to be a wealth transfer. I had an experience with God in 2004-2005 when I was in a hotel in Atlanta. I felt very strongly that God was speaking to me that there is going to be an incredible wealth transfer before the coming of our Lord. We will make a difference, touch more lives and impact the world because Jesus is not coming for a church in hiding but Jesus is really coming for a church in control.
BIBLICAL BASIS FOR WEALTH TRANSFER
While there are 500 scriptures on prayer, there are 2000 on finance and biblical economics. Jesus spoke 27 parables, of which 23 had to do with economics. 61% of Jesus’ stories that had to do with economics and finance. It is true that ‘the love of money’ is the root of all evil, but money is not the root of all evil. God specifically mentions land 1480 times in the Bible. ‘The land that I will give you’ is an oft-mentioned phrase.
Instances of wealth transfer to God’s people
Wealth transfer to individuals
Let’s look at a few instances of wealth transfer to individuals.
The king took off his ring which he had reclaimed from Haman and presented it to Mordecai and Esther appointed Mordecai over Haman’s estate. - Esther 8:2
Joseph was an illiterate shepherd boy who had been given a prophetic word. God placed him in Egypt, one of the most advanced economies and civilisations at the time. God made Joseph the Prime Minister of this country. He became the program manager, the Chief Financial Officer; he was second in command to the king. - Genesis 41:41-43
The wealth of Babylon was placed on Daniel. - Daniel 2:48
Jacob served his father-in-law for 21 years. Laban consistently cheated Jacob. He had to manage his whole family - 3 wives and 11 children on a bachelor’s salary. But one day, God transferred all the wealth from Laban to Jacob because of the covenant that was upon the life of Jacob.
Corporate wealth transfer
Let’s look at a few instances of corporate transfer of wealth.
During prophet Elisha’s time, the advisor to the king missed a supernatural wealth transfer and died in a stampede. On the other hand, the people, including the four lepers received the supernatural wealth transfer of God. - 2 Kings 7
Another instance of corporate blessing is seen in the exodus of the children of Israel. They had been slaves for 430 years. But God said, ‘Now I am about to take everything in Egypt and put it in your hands. I will reach out my hands and strike Egypt with my wonders which I shall do in the midst of it so that he will let you go. And I will grant these people favour and respect in the sight of the Egyptians. So then it shall be that when you go you will not go empty handed, but every woman shall ask her neighbour and any woman who lives in a house with articles of silver and articles of gold and articles of clothing. You shall put them on your sons and daughters and this way you are to plunder the Egyptians, leaving in with grip possessions which are rightfully yours’. There was a corporate transfer of wealth from the Egyptians to the Israelites.
Three enemy nations came to attack King Jehoshaphat, but God fought them and the wealth they were carrying was transferred to Jehoshaphat and his people. 2 Chronicles 20:25,26
Verses about wealth transfer
A good man’s inheritance he leaves for his children and children’s children - Proverbs 13:22.
For those people who pleases Him, God gives knowledge, wisdom and joy, but to the sinner, he gives gathering and collecting so that he may give to the one who pleases God - Ecclesiastes 2:26. The New Living Translation says - If a sinner becomes wealthy, God takes the wealth away and gives it to those who please Him.
Proverbs 6:31 talks about wealth transfer
Job 27:16-19 says in New Living Translation, ‘evil people may have piles of money and may store away mounds of clothing, but the righteous will wear their clothing and the innocent will divide their money. The wicked build houses as fragile as the spider's web as flimsy as a shelter made of branches. The wicked go to bed rich but wake up to find all their wealth is gone’.
Proverbs 28:8 says, ‘He who increases his wealth by interest and usury (excessive interest) gathers it for him who is gracious to the poor’.
Isaiah 60:5-7 gives us another scripture for wealth transfer.
Isaiah 60:10,11 says ‘foreigners will come and build your towns and their kings will serve you, though I have destroyed you through my war but now I will have mercy on you through my grace’.
‘And he will give you good and beautiful cities that you did not build, houses which you did not build and wells which you did not dig, vineyards and olive plants which you did not plant’. Deuteronomy 6:10,11
PURPOSE OF WEALTH TRANSFER
- To fulfil Gods plan for the nations:
- Romans 10:14-17 says, ‘How will they hear without a preacher? How will the preacher go without being sent? So then faith comes by hearing. Hearing by the word of God’. We need to send, we need to make an impact, we need to reach people. To send people, we need finances.
- To transform your world into a world of prosperity, authority and healing
- To leave an inheritance for our children’s children:
- I was born poor and so were my forefathers. My poor grandfather gave two of his sons away indentured slavery. Indentured slavery is when your father gives you away as interest for money borrowed. It is only when the money is paid, you can come back home. If he never paid, your work will be considered interest. My grandfather and my father were indentured labourers. But when I became a Christian, I decided that I would leave an inheritance for my children.
- To enjoy our rightful benefits:
- 1 Peter 1:4 says, ‘he has given us great and exceeding precious promises’.
- To show a better way to other people who do not know Christ
- To preside over wealth of the unrighteous
PERIOD OF WEALTH TRANSFER
Wealth transfer happened often in the scriptures during difficult times. During famine, Isaac wanted to move to Egypt, but God told him not to. So he stayed and God transferred much wealth to him. Joseph experienced wealth transfer in the season of unbelievable famine. The wealth transfer that happened during the time of King Jehoshaphat was also at a time of extreme crisis.
We do not operate by information, we operate by covenant. The information around us may not be favourable, but it is God’s word that will be established in our lives. So, even in the midst of famine, God can bless us. A conference like this enables us to gather market knowledge and also trust in the supernatural God.
PEOPLE IN WEALTH TRANSFER
The challenge of the church, particularly for Pastors whose only exposure is Bible school, is that they have no marketplace experience and they have not made the effort to study and to know about wealth increase.
Let’s look at the people involved in wealth transfer.
- Makers of the wealth - These are the people who create the wealth.
- Managers of the wealth - It’s easy for God to transfer wealth, but most Christians do not know how to manage it. When the finance comes to us, we need to know how to handle and manage it. Jesus tells the parable of the man who gave money to his servants. The man who had 5 talents had capacity for 5. The man who was given 2 talents had capacity for 2 and the man who had capacity for 1 talent buried it. That must have been about $547000 in today’s money. In my book ‘Commonwealth transfer’, I wrote about the 8 cycles of wealth creation. Money is currency because it has current. It is either flowing to you or flowing away. For many Nigerians, it seems to be flowing away. We must learn how to handle wealth and to perpetuate it.
- Distributors - The third kind of people we need are distributors. God said - I’ll bless you and you will be a blessing. A distributor will be a ‘blessing to others’. Only a person with the right heart can be a distributor. When God transferred wealth to Abraham, and he got the wealth of kings, he took the tithes to Melchizedek. And he returned things to the people of Sodom. He empowered them. Similarly, Joseph was a good distributor. Out of the 12 sons, of Jacob, God saw that Joseph would have the heart of a distributor. None of his brothers had the heart. So God transferred wealth to Joseph.
- Field marshals - Such people use the funds given to them to open churches and break new grounds. They will be visionaries. In the past, the church in Nigeria was different; it used to be in hiding. Now suddenly we have become the voice. We are setting the pace.
POWER OF WEALTH TRANSFER
When wealth transfer comes, we can do everything bigger and mightier and greater. The power of wealth transfer is not because God wants to give us jobs (job - just over broke). Wealth transfer is not just about salary; it is much bigger. If you enter many of our churches, most people are just salary earners. Bible says in Deuteronomy 28 about the work of your hands, your basket and your storehouse. The work of your hands is salary, the basket is SME, and the storehouse is an enterprise that employs anywhere between 50 - 1000 people. When you are at that level, the governor will visit you, not the other way around. You will become a person of influence for the kingdom. That’s the power of wealth transfer.
PLATFORM FOR WEALTH TRANSFER
- Tithing - When we bring our tithes, we make ourselves candidates for God’s blessing. We can’t hold back a tithe and not be cursed. Malachi 3:9 talks about this as a nation. As a corporate body of believers, we will be only as blessed as we tithe.
- Sowing seed
- Company ownership - In my book, I wrote 30 reasons why we should own a limited liability company. God needs a platform or conduit through which blessing can come into our hands. If we don’t have a company, we have limit our platform, our exchange and our equity. Companies are given loans, more than individuals. We should understand that there’s a right way to borrow. In the Bible, the prophet told the woman to borrow pots, Jesus borrowed Peter’s boat as a platform to preach. In order to build something big, we need space. Many Nigerian businesses don’t have volume or space. These can be achieved as a company, not as an individual
- Real estate - Nigeria has issues of a certificate of occupancy. Property ownership is a problem in Nigeria because of a certificate of ownership, it means you cannot own land beyond 100 years and you cannot pass it beyond a 100 years to your children. Freehold, however, keeps it in perpetuity in your family. Freehold is powerful.
- Entrepreneurship - God is looking for people who are entrepreneurs. Proverbs 24:2-4 in the Living Bible translation says, ‘any enterprise built by wise planning becomes strong through common sense, profits wonderfully by keeping abreast of the facts’.
- Wealthable - When you become ‘wealthable’, It means you will have the capacity to handle and manage wealth. You will become a conduit for wealth transfer.
TYPES OF WEALTH
- Treasures of darkness (Isaiah 45:3)
- Sealed up treasures (Deuteronomy 32:34)
- Treasures of kings (2 Kings 24:13)
- Treasures in field mines, gold, various kinds of minerals (Jeremiah 4:18)
- Treasures of the East (Matthew 2:14)
- Hidden riches (Isaiah 45:3) - God wanted to deliver Israel from Babylon. But he couldn’t find anyone who would trust Him for wealth. So God gave the wealth to a Gentile called Cyrus.
- Stewarded favor (Psalm 102:18) - I know of a young man from South Africa came to live in London. He was a handyman. He was a born-again Christian; he and his wife went to church regularly. There was a poor woman whom they regularly took care of for 2-3 years. One day she told them that she was not as poor as she appeared. She was very wealthy. She was touched that they took care of her for 3 years without knowing who she was. So she promised to give them a million pounds a year till her death. That is favour.
- Inheritance - Natural inheritance passes from parent to child, but I’m referring to supernatural inheritance that comes from God.
- Properties that will be restored (Proverbs 6:30,31)
- Benefits that will be given (Psalm 103:2)
- Ideas are the biggest source of wealth creation. (Exodus 36:1)
- Wealth transfer will come through land, house and prosperity (Joshua 24:13) - Many churches have incredible blessings and wealth, but they don’t know how to maximize its benefit. They could rent space.
8 CYCLES OF WEALTH PERPETUATION AFTER WEALTH HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED
- Acquisition of knowledge. We must be financially literate.
- We must have commitment to build wealth. It can’t be done lackadaisically.
- Investment. We need to know which investment works for you.
- Portfolio management. We must know when to buy and sell what God has placed in our hands.
- When the wealth comes, we must recognize, respect and use it well.
- Reinvestment and creating a cycle. Modern man thinks in a linear way, the Bible is not linear book. It’s cyclical. There’s seed time and harvest. We must consider reinvestment in things that are moving and working.
- Multigenerational wealth and trans-generational wealth. Jacob left both natural and spiritual wealth for his children. As Jacob, he gave them land and houses; as Israel, he gave them God. We need to give our kids both the blessings.
- Giving. That is the purpose for which God gives wealth to believers. In the Old Testament, God transferred wealth in this way - He enabled kings to acquire wealth; the kings handed over the wealth to the priests to use it to build kingdom of God.
- Protect your wealth from the government who over-taxes you. They tax the income at source, when we save it, when we spend it and finally, when we die, if it is in our name, they will charge inheritance tax. We are taxed four times. So it is better to own our properties in the name of companies and trusts, because those will survive even after our death.
May we become like Abraham, Joseph and Mordecai – managing, handling and distributing wealth so that it can accelerate our ability to reach the world for God.
THE KINGDOM SUMMIT 2017 - Register now!
This year, The Kingdom Summit 2017 will be held at The King's Court, Lagos, Nigeria from 13 to 15 October 2017, featuring top experts, leaders, speakers and panelists from around the world.
The theme for this year's summit is: Partnering for Kingdom Impact in Africa
Do not miss the opportunity to attend this conference and take away 'Kingdom Strategies' for your work-life and business.